Pet-friendly hurricane shelters managed by each County should be seen as a last resort. Always try to arrange where you will shelter with your pet before a disaster happens. If you wait too long, unfortunately you might not be able to get your pet in an pet friendly shelter location. Also don’t assume that a boarding kennel or hotel/motel will accept your pet. Check ahead and look for kennels in non-evacuation zones.
Sept 29, 2023
Counties in Hurricane Idalia's possible path
Most County’s pet friendly shelters are equipped to handle dogs and cats only. Limited space is available. Your pet will be housed separately from you and you will have limited access to feed, clean up and take care of your pet. Have your pet's vaccination records with you and ALL of your pets needs.
(2) Desoto (Pet-Friendly Shelter Only for mandatory evacuations)
(6) Columbia - NO pet friendly shelters in Columbia County
(7) Dixie ALL residents must evacuate! NO shelters available.
(8) Duval - Jacksonville
(10) Franklin - NO shelters available, the entire county being in a surge zone
(11) Gadsden - NO pet friendly shelters in Gadsden Co. source
(16) Lafayette NO shelter available due to higher-than-expected winds.
(17) Lake https://lakecountyfl.gov/news/4878
Fort Braden Elementary, 15100 Blountstown Hwy
Chiles High School, 7200 Lawton Chiles Lane
Rickards High School, 3013 Jim Lee Road
Lincoln High School, 3838 Trojan Trail
Please note, Chiles High School is pet accessible.
These locations ID on current County maps as allowing family pets. Confirm prior to going by checking evacuation zone maps shelters on https://www.pascocountyfl.net/
Learn what supplies you should bring with your pet: https://bit.ly/3dO3RjJ
(24) Pinellas (Requires Enrollment form)
(26) Putnam https://main.putnam-fl.com/?page_id=5852
(27) Saint Johns
(29) Seminole There are no Seminole County shelters as of Tuesday, August 29 at 3:00 p.m. Crews are preparing shelters to remain on stand-by.
Suwannee's Pineview Elementary School: 1748 Ohio Avenue South Live Oak, FL 32064
(31) Taylor ALL residents must evacuate! NO shelters available. Residents to evacuate to Tallahassee shelter. Source
(33) Wakulla ALL residents must evacuate! NO shelters available. The facilities in Wakulla County which are used for shelters are not rated to withstand the potential effects of a category 3 storm to our county. Simply put it is potentially unsafe for Wakulla County shelters to be utilized. source: https://www.facebook.com/wakullasheriffsoffice/
Know your evacuation zones : Be Safe Everyone https://floridadisaster.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html
Basic Pet Friendly Shelter Packing List (check with EACH county for their requirements)
1. Crate/carrier large enough for your pet to stand up and turn around in
2. Cleaning supplies: gloves, paper towels, pee pads for crates/kennel, trash bags.
3. Up-to-date pet records – vaccinations, microchip, county registration
4. Pet medications (don’t forget FELIWAY spray to help calm cats & ADAPTIL for dogs)
5. Photo of owner and pet together
6. Food and water supply for a minimum 7 days, along with bowls
7. Leash, collar, and muzzle (if needed)
8. Toys or blankets to put in the kennel(be mindful these can get soiled. Bring extra pee pads